Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Franklin D White - Religious Life

Perhaps I should write of my religious life also.  I remember that my parents didn't go to church much in my early life, but we children were always dressed in our best on Sunday and went to Sunday School.

When I was a small boy my only sister Eunice had a severe sick spell when she was about two years old.  The doctors didn't know what was wrong then, but it must have been polio for it left her partially paralyzed and she never has been able to balance herself or walk alone.  She is still living at this writing and has been married twice and is a widow now and is sixty-seven years old.  I mention this now because her life has brought about some wonderful experiences for me, which I shall tell of later on.

 When we were small, father got me a good wagon and for several years when the weather was good I took my sister to Sunday School two miles away on that wagon.  We were very close to each other in our early lives.  A short time ago I visited our Bishop, of that time, Peter Peterson and wife at Fairview, Utah. (At the time this couple passed away, they had been married longer than any other couple in the United States; they were married nearly 80 years.)  They are 85 years old now, and they talked of the time when I used to bring Eunice to Sunday School in the little wagon.  He was the man who baptized me and confirmed me a member of the church.  He also ordained me a Deacon.  I attended religion class, Primary, and Sunday School regularly.

When I was fifteen years old I was called to teach in the Sunday school.

When I was about 10 years old, my parents moved from the old home on to a little lot just one block from the church and school.  Then I took my sister to school, also, which enabled her to learn to read and write some.  I am not mentioning what others did for her here, as this is a story of my own life.  I always took part in all programs in the small community and my part was most always to recite a poem.  Out of them all I can only remember one now.  That was one of my favorites, "The Village Blacksmith".

Schoolwork always came easy to me, except one thing, that was spelling and I can't do that yet.  But I was a fair reader and I have always loved good books.  My religious activities in early life were a great education for me and helped me to obtain a testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment