Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Franklin and Annie White - Early Marriage

Our first boy, Alden D., was born on August 2, 1908. I now had a family to support so I went back to the sheep camp all that winter. I came back to the farm in Indianola in that spring and stayed there until 1911. We had many friends and good times.

During our earlier married life we used to go to Fairview to visit old friends and relatives and many times we ran into thunderstorms and got good and wet because our old lumber wagon didn't have a top on it and it can really rain in that country. One time we decided to go for a weekend and my wife had just bought a nice summer hat. About five miles on our way we could see that we were going to get rained on so we stopped and unhitched the horses and got underneath the wagon to keep dry. We were not there very long until a stream of water about a foot deep came down the road and we had to get in the wagon again. She kept her new hat covered with a large quilt to save it but when the rain stopped we were wet through. She said, 'Well, I saved my new hat anyway.' But when she took the quilt off, the hat looked more like an old dishrag than anything else. The pieces in the quilt had faded and the colors had run and now the hat was all colors. We just threw it in the gutter and went back home. {The Good Old Days!)

It was during this time that our second son was born, Ewrin Aristol, on February 28, 1910, at Indianola. In the spring of 1911, I went to Wilmer, Idaho with some old friends who were moving there. Water had been provided for this country by the 'Great Twin Falls Reclamation Project ' with a dam crossing the Snake River at Milner, Idaho. This had just been built and there was good opportunity to get a farm there. Just before leaving home, I had a dream in which I seemed to be in Idaho and I saw very plainly a small ridge running east and west with a canal going down one side of it around the point and back up the other side. North of the canal over the ridge was a beautiful level piece of land. I went to Idaho in March and got employment right away. I looked all over for a farm that I could file on, but I couldn't find any that were vacant. Then in May, a friend of mine told me that one day as he was riding the canal and looking around, he had found forty acres of land on a canal about five miles north of there. It was still vacant, so the next Sunday, I got a saddle horse and rode over to look at the property. I recognized the land that had been shown in my dream before I left home. I filed on it and made my home there. I have always felt that the Lord directed me to that place for I had work to do there among His children."

Elizabeth stayed home with her two little boys. Frank returned in July and moved his wife and family with him, leaving Utah on August 2, 1911. This was a very trying time for Elizabeth as the country was new and unsettled and very different. She missed her parents and family very much. The ground had not yet been broken up and they moved right out into the sagebrush. There were no houses so they had to live in a tent until they could build a small one room house. By November, we were moved in and quite comfortable. We were now in a new country to settle, make new friends and neighbors. It was five miles to the store and ten miles to a doctor. All the roads were dirt, and we had nothing but a team and wagon to use.

As their family grew larger, they added other rooms. These were very trying times. Money was scarce was work was plentiful. Elizabeth was very understanding and did not complain and worked very hard. She was delighted to live in a place where most anything would grow and she could raise a good garden. Both climate and the soil were conducive to raising vegetables. There were drawbacks however. The jack rabbits were so numerous they would eat anything within their reach. The first year the family lived there, the rabbits destroyed the entire crop, except the garden that Frank fenced off with netting wire. Thus, Elizabeth raised enough vegetables to supply the family through the winter. Because of the crop failure, Frank had to work away from home to earn enough money to buy food for the farm animals. Elizabeth also helped outside the home with the milking of cows and other things which she could do to help. Within a few years, they were successful in fencing off their crops with netting wire to keep the rabbits out. They began to raise good crops and acquired a good dairy herd, which resolved their financial burdens.

"After we were there one year, I received word that my father was very sick and probably wouldn't live but a few days. I decided to go back to my old home and see him again. I was very glad that I did for he died the day after I arrived, on December 15, 1912. He was able to talk to me and I appreciated it very much."



The winter of 1913 had been a hard one with much snow and Elizabeth delivered another baby, but the baby was premature. The roads were muddy and impassable. They sent for a doctor, but he did not get there until the next day. On March 5, Elizabeth gave birth to their third son, Simeon Woodrow, with her husband, Frank, acting as both midwife and doctor. A neighbor lady came to help them about an hour after the baby was born. Elizabeth apparently got along fine, but about three weeks later she began to have chest pains, and this became the beginning of a very serious heart condition. Woodrow was the largest baby she had, but he was a very good natured one.

No comments:

Post a Comment