Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Franklin D White - Back to Indianola

In May of the year 1901, I returned home and got a job, and decided to earn my own way in the world, being sixteen years of age.  I went into the mountains and herded sheep all summer for one dollar a day and we considered that good pay.

When I returned home that fall I made a mistake that I have regretted all my life.  My parents were not able to send me away to school. Two neighbors came to me and told me that if I would go the State College at Logan they would go to the bank and sign notes with me for what money I needed to take a four year course.  But I was afraid of so much debt, so turned it down and my schooling was over.

For the next five years I didn't do much but herd sheep, which took me away from home and society.  Most of the time though, I did get home enough to get a date to dance or theater once in a while.  I had no steady girl friend, but did write to several.  During this time I tried to make good use of my time and had lots of time to read and carried a Bible in my pocket most of the time and I read it a great deal.  I also read the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price.  I read these many times and many other great classics and history books.  Thus, my education expanded and my testimony grew.

 About this time of life, my brother Will and I bought a dry farm on one hundred and sixty acres, with some water rights and started farming.  We got a few head of good milk cows and sold cream to help father and mother along with the living expenses.  As father was getting quite old, by this time and his health was failing, one of us would stay on the farm and the other would work with the sheep to keep money coming in.

No comments:

Post a Comment