Tuesday, August 30, 2016
Franklin D White - Helping the Family with money
Before I go any farther, I must say something of the things I did to help earn a living in those early days as money was scarce and hard to get. I will never forget my first job. I was about ten years old and I hired out to help herd pigs. The hardest thing on earth to herd. I ran all day, first one way, then the other. For the sum of ten cents a day. Of course, I didn't work many days, but the experience was good for me. I learned how money was earned. I would tromp hay on the wagons for give cents a load and make, maybe, twenty-five cents day. As I grew older I got a little more money. I herded milk cows for about five years for fifty cents a month, a head, and did it on foot and barefoot. Would have about fifteen head to herd on the vacant land around. Yes, the "Gay Nineties" were a pretty hard time to make money and a good living.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment